Red shoes

Red shoes

Sunday 27 July 2014

A reunion





Recently I had a reunion.
It was the first time in a very, very long time we were all together – just as we were, just as it should be.


In volleyball line-up order: Meredith, Debbie, Virginia, Danielle, Tanya, Leearne and Vanessa.



This snap shot in our satin uniforms (not looking so cute in satin these days) is like Dumbledore’s pensive for me. A window in my mind is flung open, warm beams of sunlight stretch across the room, memories strung out like brightly coloured bras and knickers on a clothes line dance before me.


Sutherland Ward Young Women's volleyball team


  
These young women were my youth. They knew me when I was trying to work out who I was and who I wanted to be. We played volleyball together – well, to be really honest, and my memory DOES serve me correctly, we dressed-up in our uniforms and giggled a lot. We swam and ran in carnivals, we danced in festivals, we performed on stage, but what truly bound us in our years of becoming, was our faith. No matter where we are today in our lives, it is still these ribbons and threads softly spun about us that bind us together.

Dressed up for Church on Sunday


What would a reunion be without pouring over old photos? While most of us needed to grab our spectacles to do so, I did recognise the ability each one of us has developed to ‘see’ more clearly. To observe in ourselves and others things that perfect vision, laser surgery or a pair of glasses is not able to detect or rectify - vision that comes with age and experience.

 If there was a winner for the night from our photos, I think it might have to go to Debbie dressed in her sailor suit top with matching hat, or perhaps seeing a snap of Virginia wearing her adored rabbit skirt… only in the eighties! 
   
 
A night at the movies - note Virginia's rabbit skirt



We shared stories and relived adventures. We giggled and laughed like we were 14 again. We felt safe divulging the secrets of our heart and our vulnerabilities - that’s another gift that comes with age that I would not exchange for youth.   

 How innocent and naive were the day dreams and imaginings of the girls dressed-up in satin. I’m glad we dreamed, but I am also glad for the realities of the lives we’ve lived and the women we have become because of them.

Just one question ladies, when can we do it again?  

No comments:

Post a Comment